JSB Talks Digital Podcast #121
JSB Talks Digital is a weekly digital marketing and social media podcast hosted by author, strategist, consultant, speaker and trainer Joanne Sweeney. Each Friday Joanne shares her digital marketing and social media insights from her work as CEO of Digital Training Institute.
In this episode #121, I’m myth-busting some social media myths.
* In social media news:
o Google+ goes to social media heaven
o Introducing Facebook Portal
o AI helps Instagram prevent bullying
* I interview Scott Ayres, a social media scientist and marketing expert
* Shoutouts: The lies some people tell you about social media
* Ask JSB
* In JSB’s column: Why some organisations are still refusing to engage in social media and what you can do to convince them it’s a key communications channel
* Finally, find out what social media tool saved my working week
SOCIAL MEDIA NEWS
Google+ goes to social media heaven
Google is shutting down Google+ for consumers over the next 10 months following a security breach. In a blog post, the company said they discovered a previously undisclosed security flaw that exposed users’ profile data that was remedied in March 2018.
“Google+ currently has low usage and engagement and 90 percent of Google+ user sessions last less than five seconds.”
Google will keep the service alive for enterprise customers who use it to facilitate conversations among co-workers.
I’m kind of sad about this. I loved Google+ to get my content indexed on the Google search engine within 24 hours of posting on the platform..
Introducing Facebook Portal
Facebook has announced a new video chat camera device called Portal, which comes in a 10-inch 720p version for $200 (known as Portal) and a 15.6-inch 1080p version for $350 (known as Portal+). The larger version can be rotated from landscape to portrait mode as well.
The Portal supports video chat through Facebook’s Messenger app and you can also use the device for viewing Facebook Watch and listening to Spotify, Pandora and iHeartRadio. Plus the Portal also works as a digital photo frame. YouTube is not supported by Portal.
The Portal has Amazon Alexa integration built-in so it can also handle voice commands. For example, you can say “Portal, call JSB,” Then the device will call my Portal or the Messenger app on my phone.
AI helps Instagram prevent bullying
The new head of Instagram Adam Mosseri says “there is no place for bullying” on the platform.
Writing in a blog post, he said:
“If people see that kind of hurtful behaviour on our platform, they can report it, and we remove any content that violates our guidelines. But online bullying is complex, and we know we have more work to do to further limit bullying and spread kindness on Instagram.
“That’s why today we’re announcing our latest tools to help combat bullying, including a new way to identify and report bullying in photos. We’re also introducing a camera effect to help spread kindness in Stories. As the new Head of Instagram, I’m proud to build on our commitment to making Instagram a kind and safe community for everyone.”
Instagram are now using machine learning technology to proactively detect bullying in photos and their captions and send them to our Community Operations team to review.
They say the change will help them identify and remove significantly more bullying. This new technology has begun to roll out and will continue to in the coming weeks.
They have also introduced a new bullying comment filter on live videos.
In this episode, I interview Scott Ayres, co-author of “Facebook All-in-one for Dummies” and Podcast host for Social Media Lab powered by Agorapulse.
He has written over 2000 blog posts on social media topics and has contributed to 3 of the top 10 Social Media Blogs for 2018.
Scott became addicted to social media before even MySpace (the first time around!).
Scott has been a valued team member of Agorapulse since 2017 but he’s been an expert in social media for 9 years. Before Agorapulse he was the head of content, support and training at Post Planner where his influence grew their blog to landing the top 10 Social Media Blog list.
Scott loves busting myths about social media marketing, even if that means going against what he was taught in the past or is still being taught by “gurus” today.
Unlike many social media "experts" Scott brings a real world approach and perspective that business owners can relate to. In addition to blogging for some of the top social media blogs he runs a small, local business and understands social media’s ability to help businesses grow.
Scott has an incredible story about why he started Social Media Lab and why he is highly sought after for his expertise in Facebook Reach, Instagram Tactics, Facebook Live, LinkedIn engagement, and content for Twitter & Facebook; information acquired by conducting multiple experiments and providing proof to its effectiveness.
Get social with Scott!
In this part of the show I give shoutouts to brands, organisations or individuals whose work online is remarkable and worth talking about.
In this episode, I’m giving shoutouts to those people who are still spreading social media myths and you know who you are – well if you are listening and you say any one of these three statements!
1) Social media is free
2) Social media is for juniors
3) Social media is a waste of time
What social media myths do you like to bust? Let me know! Tweet me to @tweetsbyJSB
[bctt tweet="What social media myths do you like to bust? Let me know! Tweet me to @tweetsbyJSB" username="tweetsbyjsb"]
In this week’s ASK JSB, I have a question from Brussels.
Sofia Barahona, Social Media Manager at the European’s People’s Party has a question about scheduling Instagram Stories.
Suggested tool: https://storrito.com/
Storrito posts your story directly to Instagram or you pick a date and it will be posted later. Use Storrito's story templates to turn your image into an animated story video.
If you have a digital marketing or social media question, don’t forget you will have it answered on the show by using the hashtag #AskJSB on Twitter or Instagram. You can also leave me a voicemail with your question at www.digitaltraininginstitute.ie/askjsb.
And you can also post a message on any of my social networks!
In today’s JSB’s column I reflect on why some people are still refusing to engage with social media for business or public interest messaging and how you can convince them to embrace it with open arms!
How to get Management buy-in for social media
Firstly, it's important for us to understand the reasons for management reluctance to digital transformation.
1) Personal bias: Own views that social media / the Internet has no value for 'serious' businesss, public sector/Government communications.
2) Poor understanding: You can't manage what you don't understand. So, when senior leaders don't understand social, yet want to control all communications, they can get in the way.
3) Fear of public criticism: When you step onto the social media stage, the public will engage and expect a response.
4) Previous bad experience: When you step into the public domain, you have to be willing to get it wrong, get criticised and have days that are tough to manage. So. a previous bad experience can prevent further evolution and maturity of digital communications.
So, what can you do to empower your manager, boss, Director to become more open-minded. Firstly, by taking this course you are stepping up and declaring that you have put an emphasis and priority on digital communications. You are a digital transformation leader and you must use your new knowledge and skills to apply this to your organsiation and having more digital conversations. Use the tasks and module content as conversation-starters. Don't make anyone feel under pressue to understand, but begin to explain how these tactics and strategies can help you and your colleagues at work. Here are some other tips:
1) Align digital communications with the organisation/departments goals: Dig out your corporate or communications plan and make it very clear how social and digital will help you achieve some or all of those goals.
2) Get a case study from a similar organisation and share it (if you need one relevant to your organisation, let me know).
3) What's testing your organisation right now? Can you design and implement a social media campaign to support your manager? Can you present a plan?
4) Communicate clearly with no jargon. Managers may feel (but not verbalise) under threat or less knowledgeable than you and they may have an inferiority complex. Being a supportive colleague and managing up the digital transformation programme will help him/her move forward.
5) Many people fear and dislike change, it's human instinct to reject it. If you have a roadmap of how this change will take place, who's involved and their role, the
training that they will receive to support them. Have a mentoring programme in place for the transition period.
6) Knowledge is power. Get a 1-hour lunchtime guest speaker
7) Invite them to Social Media event to network with peers.
I hope this is helpful, let me know if any of these tactics make a positive difference.
If you want to discuss your social media marketing strategy then get in touch. Drop me an email to [email protected].
Social Media Tool of the Week
The social media tool that saved my working week this week is Social Media Analytics Search from Talkwalker.
Talkwalker’s Free social search monitors every conversation about your brand, hashtags and competition on social media.
Try them out for yourself! https://www.talkwalker.com/social-media-analytics-search
I love feedback!
Thank you for tuning into episode #121 of JSB Talks Digital. If you are a regular listener I would love a review!
As always, I have everything discussed on today’s show on my award-winning blog at digitaltraining.ie. My blog is now a finalist for the 2018 Blog Awards.
Don’t forget we are now on Google Podcasts reaching more Android users. You can also subscribe on iTunes, Spotify, Libsyn, Stitcher or Soundcloud.
We are also now on Amazon Alexa with our weekly 1-minute flash briefing of the podcast to tell you what’s coming up on the current episode. If you have an Amazon Echo please try it and let me know if you get it!
If you are interested in becoming a digital marketing pro and work in the public sector, check out my new Diploma in Digital Communications for Public Sector at: https://publicsectormarketingpros.com/diploma/.
I also have a dedicated monthly podcast, released on the first of each month for you guys!
Thank you for continuing to listen and don’t forget to get in touch you’re your questions. I love hearing from my listeners, don’t be a social media stranger!