JSB Talks Digital is a weekly podcast show hosted by social media author, strategist, consultant, speaker and trainer Joanne Sweeney-Burke. Each Friday Joanne shares her digital marketing and social media insights from her work as CEO of Digital Training Institute.
Hello and welcome to JSB Talks Digital. The podcast for marketers, small business owners and those of you bringing your skills into the Digital Age! I’m Joanne Sweeney-Burke and I’m your host!
In this episode
- Takeaways from VidCon
- Facebook changes their algorithm again and launches MSQRD Live
- Huzza pulls up a chair at the live broadcasting table
- I speak to Cliona Connolly, Irish Press Officer at the EU Parliament
- My Shoutouts: Social Media Day 2016, The 4th Annual Global Data Conference and the launch of DigCitInstitute and DigCitKids
- My featured column: why Snapchat is the rising star of social media;
- I ask my six year old son BobbyB about Snapchat; and
- Missinglettr - the social media tool that saved my working week.
Useful links from this episode
- Follow Michael Stelzner, Founder of Social Media Examiner on Huzza and watch his weekly social media news show
- Read about my presentation at the 4th Annual Global Data Conference in Santa Clara, San Francisco
- Join the Digital Citizenship Summit community and find out more about DigCitKids and DigCitInstitute on Twitter
- The tool that saved my working week - Missinglettr the social media tool to automate blog posts
- Add Cliona Connolly on Snapchat
3 Takeaways from vidcon
Why do I feel that in every episode of this podcast that live video dominates? Well, probably because it’s taking over all global social media conversations.
30,000 people attended VidCon in Anaheim, California recently and there was lots of exciting news coming from it. Despite the time difference I was able to catch early morning Facebook Live’s from Joel Comm and Michael Stelzner on the big news breaking in online video.
Live video is changing the social media landscape. Here’s three takeaways from VidCon:
- Facebook announces it will be launching a new Facebook Live feature where other users can "drop in" to the live feed as "guests." The social network will also allow you to schedule live broadcasts in advance.
- YouTube announce live video via their new mobile app. Straight from the YouTube app, creators will soon be able to hit the traditional red “upload” button and see the option to “Go Live.”
- Forbes Reporter, Bree Brouwer says: “Platforms are proliferating, but it’s what we do with them that matters.” I think this is a crucial point. It is impossible to react to every single platform change, however it’s how we integrate those channels into our social marketing that matters.
Interview of the Week
In this show I’m joined by Cliona Connolly, Irish Press Officer with the EPP Group in the European Parliament. The EPP is the largest political grouping in the EU with 215 centre-right MEPs. Cliona works alongside the four Irish Fine Gael MEPs and is based in Brussels.
Cliona has held this role for the past five years but previous to this worked as a journalist in Ireland, first working in regional print journalism as editor of the Monaghan Post and then in broadcast journalism with Shannonside Northern Sound.
I also asked Cliona about the fallout from Brexit on social media.
Tips from Cliona Connolly on how to tell Snapchat stories if you're a political or campaign-based organization
- Plot: plan your story, what are you going to say?
- Structure: every story has an introduction, middle and a conclusion so structure your Snapchat story that way.
- Style: understand your own style which shows your personality.
The social media tool that saved my working week is...
Missinglettr! This tool will create a series of tweets for each of your blog posts and schedules them on Twitter for you.
So how does it work:
Set up a free account with missinglettr, a free account allows you to connect one blog and one social profile. Then you connect your blogs RSS feed to the tool.
When missinglettr detects a new blog post, it will create a series of tweets, each focusing on different parts of your article.
Send me your feedback
I'd love to know what you think about this episode. So please get in touch by commenting below or tweet me @tweetsbyJSB or send me a snap to jsbsnaps.